Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Last impressions

Overall I found the course to be fairly easy. Although, I did have to go over a couple hurdles. I really like how quizzes made up ten percent of our grade because they were fairly easy to get perfect on and they forced me to keep myself from falling behind. However, the TA strike did cause a huge hurdle I had to go over. I am a fairly lazy person and unless I have enough incentive to do something I wouldn't do it. So in the case of the lab questions, I barely had any incentive to do them because I was not going to be tested on them and the exam date is pretty late so I could catch up after I'm done my other four exams. But, I thought to myself, after those 4 exams I would probably want to rest for a bit and I might end up wasting a lot of time. Because of this thought, I ended up doing all the labs on time. I am fairly happy about that because I wouldn't have to catch up and I would be able to rest for a while after four of my exams.

Looking back on the first test, I really regret not reading my email. I didn't know that we were allowed to bring a cheat sheet. When I went to the test room I saw that 90 percent of the people in the room had a cheat sheet and I felt so dumb. I lost a couple percent because my syntax for one of my classes weren't on point and a cheat sheet could have prevented that. However, it did teach me a good lesson, to check my emil everyday.

The first assignment was pretty fun. It was nice going away from having to use starter code and be able to be a little more creative. Being able to make a game was pretty cool too, csc108 assignment were pretty being because they were mostly about string manipulation and they weren't challenging.

The second assignment was pretty awesome in my opinion. I never knew how to write a strong strategy that the computer can use. Whenever I wrote a game, the moves that the computer used were always random. Also, assignment two was also the only time I really felt challenged. Having to write minimax using recursion was the only time I couldn't watch Youtube videos while doing an assignment because I had to focus.

Recursion was kind of a hurdle at first, but because there was a format for it and once you write recursive code a couple times it becomes really easy. However, that first hurdle was kind of hard to get by because I didn't really know what to write for the first line, but after a few examples were gone over in class, I got the hang of it. My friend Timothy also had the same troubles as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment