Friday, 26 September 2014
I learned a lot this week in CSC165. A couple symbols were introduced, which are conjunction ∧, disjunction∨ , and negation ¬. I really enjoyed learning about the concept of vacuous truth, where a “false” statement can be proven true. For example, ∀x∈R, x2-2x+2=0 ⇔ x>x+5, can technically be proven true because to disprove an equivalence you have to find a counter example. However, for the statement mentioned earlier there are no solutions to x2-2x+2=0 and x>x+5, meaning that no counter examples exist. As a result, no counter examples exist, meaning the statement can only be true. This blew my mind and also Timothy. He also wrote that it confused him in his blog. The problem-solving session on Friday was also something I enjoyed. The class learned to look at a problem like a computer science function in a way. Thinking of the problem as a set of inputs and outputs helped make the problem easier to solve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment